top of page
Dickens followed-up The Old Curiosity Shop in his weekly journal, Master Humphrey's Clock, with his fifth novel, Barnaby Rudge in 1841. As with his previous novel, Dickens once again used wood-engravings that could be 'dropped into the text', and hired the illustrators Hablot Knight Browne ('Phiz') and George Cattermole once more. Cattermole provided the illustrations depicting places and architecture, while Browne, who produced the majority of the wood-engravings, created scenes involving characters. The illustrations below are taken from the 'Universal' edition of Dickens's works (1912) and reproduce Browne and Cattermole's original illustrations.
bottom of page